Update: The kits are sold out! Make sure to sign up for my free newsletter if you want to get an early peek at the next challenge.
If you want to buy your challenge kit right now before reading about it, go for it!
The Challenge Inspiration
Inspiration #1: Ready Made Jewelry
Every time I see a piece of inexpensive jewelry in a store, I think about how I would improve it. So, naturally, when I saw a pile of these pretty blue bracelets at a bead show last fall, I immediately started thinking about how I might take them apart and make something completely different with those same beads.
Inspiration #2: New Beaders
I also wanted to offer a challenge that would be easy enough for beginners, but challenging for more seasoned designers. Beginning with a finished piece of jewelry is a great first challenge. You don't have to start completely from scratch. Instead, you could start thinking about adding a few additional beads to alter the look of this one-strand bracelet. More advanced beaders might want to completely dismantle the bracelet to create necklaces, earrings, rings, and more sophisticated bracelet designs.
Inspiration # 3: Color
Yes, It's Blue Again . . .
I didn't mean to have two blue kits in a row, but this kit was an impulse purchase that I bought before I developed the snowflake kit. Plus, I'll confess—aquamarine is my birthstone, so I seem to be unnaturally attracted to that shade of blue!
. . . But Not for Long!
Your challenge is to turn this bracelet into a piece of spring jewelry. You might add flowers, leaves, birds, or other springtime symbols. You also might think about color. What colors could you add to move it from an icy, winter bracelet to a springtime piece?
There are 20 kits available. The cost for the kit and U.S. First Class shipping combined is $8.75. For most international locations, it will be $10.75 for the kit and shipping. (I only have a few international locations listed; let me know if I need to add yours.) I always mail the kits quickly, so you have the maximum time to work. Buy the kit now.
Please, only one kit per person.
- Blog Hop Reveal Date: The reveal will be March 13, 2012. This is after the Bead Soup Party on March 3rd, so I'm hoping it will be a quiet time to post. Feel free to blog about the challenge before then, but don't reveal your finished piece until that date.
- Your Own Blog: I strongly recommend that you have your own blog, but it's not an absolute requirement. The idea behind a blog hop is that everyone share the links to everyone else's designs and we hop around, visit, and comment on all the participating blogs on the designated date. It's always fascinating to see the different ways other people used the same beads!
- Spring Theme: Your jewelry or accessories design should represent spring. I'd especially love to see earrings, bracelets, necklaces, rings, hair jewelry, or anything wearable. Of course, if your muse demands that you make a beaded home decor item, you're still allowed to participate. It's best not to cross the muse!
- Number of Projects: Make one or more projects with your beads.
- Materials: Add any additional beads or subtract any beads you don't want to use. The finished piece is yours to keep, as usual.