One thing I miss about working on Beading Daily is participating in the Beadwork challenge where several designers get identical materials and need to create a project. If you've never done this before, let me assure you, it's a great creative workout!
Each time I received a Beadwork challenge kit, I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to make anything. The colors were not ones I would have chosen and the types of materials were often not my go-to favorites. But each time, I surprised myself with coming up with a new design.
I thought it would be fun to try a version of this challenge here. Rather than pick out items myself (I like surprises, too), I purchased a huge Muse kit (pictured above) from B'Sue Boutiques. Owner Brenda Sue stuffed it full of all sorts of fun items: filigree, bead caps, pendants, charms, glass beads, chain, and cord. I spent a delightful afternoon sorting through everything and coming up with 3 kits of identical materials.
The Challenge Kits
Each kit contains a combination of pendants, charms, or links/connectors; bead cap(s); and some kind of stringing material (beaded chain, ribbon, or cord). All kits include a very small package of glass beads and a small vintage cabochon.
PLUS . . . Something Special Just for You
In addition to receiving everything pictured in your kit, I'll send you a mystery item that you can use. (It's not required.) Everyone in the challenge will get a completely different mystery item! It could be a charm, pendant, bead caps, connectors, beads, chain, or anything else from the Muse box. A few items might come from my personal stash if I run out of unique goodies.
- Kits: You can either buy a kit to participate or find the identical materials elsewhere. The kits cost $5.50 each (plus shipping). There are six kits available for each of the three types (Antique Brass Romantic, Gunmetal Love, Filigree Fun) for a total of 18 challenge kits. When I run out, I run out!
- Shipping: First class U.S. shipping is $2.50. International folks: I have first class shipping prices in the system for Australia, Canada, Germany, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. Send me an email or leave a comment if you live elsewhere so I can set up a first-class shipping rate for you. (Otherwise, the default is Priority Mail, which is $13.95. I'm happy to ship Priority Mail if you prefer.) I'll send out your kit the same day I receive your order, so you have the maximum amount of time to play!
- Your Own Stash: You can include materials from your own bead stash in your
- What To Use in the Kit: Use your favorites. You do not have to use everything! Feel free to alter the kit items (cut ribbon, paint pendants, etc.) or just use them "as is."
- Blog Tour: Post a photo of your finished jewelry design(s) on your blog on August 16, 2011, along with a link to all the other participating blogs. (I'll send out a list.) You're free to post about this challenge before that if you like (including showing your kit materials), just don't reveal your finished design until the "reveal" day. If you don't have a blog and still want to participate, contact me about placing a photo of your finished piece on my blog.
I'm calling this the "Mostly Metal" Challenge because all the kits have
metal parts. This does not mean that the rest of your design has to be
metal. Anything goes!
Let me know if you have questions. I'm so excited about this! (Seriously, for the last week, this has been the first thing on my mind when I wake up.) I'd love for this to be successful so I can host quarterly challenges with materials from different shops. Let's play!